Leaky gut is a condition in which the digestive system is not working properly. It can beget a range of unpleasant side effects and make life difficult for those who have it. Bacteria are able to leak through the intestinal wall, hence the name.
What Causes Leaky Gut?
One of the known contributing factors to leaky gut is a condition known as small intestine bowel overgrowth, or SIBO; about half the patients with SIBO have leaky gut as well. Leaky gut can also occur in people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), but it is often a complex and difficult condition that has more than one cause.
Symptoms of Leaky Gut
Leaky gut is characterized by a host of symptoms, among them:
- Intensifying allergies including food and seasonal sensitivities
- New onset asthma
- Skin changes, e.g. rosacea, eczema, acne, rashes
- Autoimmune disease
- Cognitive symptoms, especially postprandial
- Chronic migraines or headaches
- Arthritis, fibromyalgia, or other musculoskeletal problems
Symptoms of SIBO
Some of the symptoms indicating SIBO include:
- Heartburn or acid reflux
- Diarrhea and/or constipation
- Abdominal distension, bloating, and gas
- Recursive abdominal discomfort and/or pain, especially on the upper left side
- Frequent passing of gas
If you have more questions about leaky gut, small intestine bowel overgrowth, or irritable bowel syndrome, we cordially encourage you to reach out and make an appointment with Radiantly Healthy. At our office in Indialantic, FL, our qualified team of devoted professionals will be happy to explain the condition, address any questions and concerns you may have, and help you decide which course of action is right for you. Contact us today to set up your consultation!