Millions of people in the United States alone are dealing with fibromyalgia. Unfortunately, this is a difficult condition to diagnose. The main symptoms, which are widespread pain and fatigue, can be caused by many different things. There are no official tests for determining you have this condition. Although it may take awhile to get the correct diagnosis, once it has happened steps can be taken to help you feel better.
What is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia, a chronic condition, cannot be cured. The symptoms of it are considered subjective (two people may register the same degree of pain very differently.) As a result, no test has been developed that can definitively diagnose it. For years, many doctors questioned whether or not this condition even existed. It is more widely accepted to be a genuine problem in medical circles now.
What are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
As before, widespread pain and fatigue are the two primary symptoms of fibromyalgia. They are not, however, the only ones; there are many others, among them:
- Sleeping but not feeling rested
- Brain fog
- Morning stiffness
- Numbness or tingling in the hands and/or feet
What Causes Fibromyalgia?
Unfortunately, no one is 100% sure what causes this condition yet. Researchers have determined that there are several factors that can be involved, including:
- Genetics: Research has shown that this condition tends to fun in families. This may be due to a genetic mutation.
- Trauma: Fibromyalgia has been linked to both physical and emotional trauma. Having Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder can increase your risk.
- Infections: Certain prior illnesses can either trigger the condition or make the symptoms of it worse. Both lupus and rheumatoid arthritis are examples of medical conditions linked to fibromyalgia.
Get In Touch with Us for Further Information
If you have concerns regarding fibromyalgia, we warmly invite you to reach out and make an appointment with Radiantly Healthy! At our convenient locations in Indialantic, our devoted and compassionate professionals will be happy to explain the condition in greater detail, address any questions or concerns you may have, and help you get back to a happy and comfortable life. Contact us today to set up your consultation – we look forward to speaking with you!